Old 09-27-22, 09:03 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Given the nature of the thread, the interest in this expanded to knowing a bit more about actual manufacture/process for creating a frame of Carbon Fiber.
Not being a materials engineer, nor a designer, I have had some experience in the area of other fiber/resin materials and construction. BF does have it's unique properties and requirements for design/construction based on use.
So a quick google turned up this interesting article on CF Frame construction (link), in general. Certainly there would be differences in handling from smaller custom shops to large scale industrial methods. Given the extensive process and handing needs of Fiber /Resin materials/construction/product, it's obviously has many possible steps where weaknesses can happen, which might not have a 'visual' element.
Interesting stuff.
I would think that Specialized would be able to inspect the frame (destructively) and determine how the failure happened.
Anyway, in this kind of business, predominantly high end recreation, customer satisfaction is way more important to the bottom line than worrying about losses due to 'replacement'. Of course it's important to not let 'user damage' be a considerable element of cost, but even border line cases are best resolving quickly. I'm surprised Specialized made it so difficult.
Given the size and nature of this business, I;d be really surprised if a company the size of Specialized isn;t keeping a close eye on the internet and 'chatter'.
You can't please everyone, but taking a hit because of poor image management is easily avoidable.
Ride On
Yuri
... its really rare when on comes across an internet piece with some 'substance'