View Single Post
Old 03-24-08, 09:42 PM
Wotan
#$*&

Bikes: Bates (of Coburg) track bike(60s/70s?), Malvern Star Ladies coronation (1953), SuperElliots pathracer (60s?), Repco pathracer (1964), Holland Ladies (50s?), Moa (50s?), Hillman Ladies (40s?), Batavia? (40s?), Malvern Star 2 star ladies (50s?)...etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice. I'm building my lady-friend a step-through. It's an Aussie Super Elliott from the 50s and, from the flick test, seems to be excellent lightweight steel such as 531.

Anyway, she likes fat tires for comfort so I thought I'd build 650 (B or A, I have no aesthetic preference). Brake reach is not an issue as I will be using hub brakes. So my question is:

What sorts of tire widths/heights do you think will fit? Do 650A come in the wider sizes (42-50mm). Fenders will be fitted, and I'd like to have it looking quite flush (no large gaps), so the bigger tire the better. The frame appears to have originally been made for 27x1 1/4 (630mm).

LBS's around here have little knowledge of 650 stuff so I may have to commit to purchase without being able to try them out first, hence my asking online.

Neal and Smurfy, bikes are looking fantastic!!! What width tires are you both using? On conversions, as the tires get bigger do they start to rub on the chainstays or the fenders first?

Thanks in advance!