View Single Post
Old 12-07-14, 11:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
First of all, you have time to decide since odds are that the cassette is shot (if the chain stretch = 1% or so), so there's nothing to lose back there.

Chainring wear happens at a glacial pace, even with a worn chain, so fee free to consider where you want to go from here.

If you replace the chain and cassette (of necessary), the odds greatly favor the rings being fine. So that would be Plan-A, and waiting a short while won't change anything much.

OTOH- id the chain is now well beyond 1% stretch (it shouldn't be, but measure) The rings may have suffered a bit, and you might consider Plan-B which is to keep the existing drivetrain as is until the chain skips on the current cassette (usually at 2-3% stretch), but then you'd also be replacing the rings. I generally reserve Plan-B for when I know things are already pretty bad, like after replacing a few chains and two cassettes.

Know that chainrings are far more forgiving of wear than are the cassette sprockets. I have rings still going strong with teeth worn about halfway across their root width. So don't feel obligated to replace them before it's necessary.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.