ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Hmmm. I've never changed out the axles on any bike I've owned, but then I always carry a small multi-tool with me that can turn my axles out. As for threading, I'm pretty sure that any frame manufactured in the last 5 years (at least) used a fine pitch thread. As for the lengths, yes there have been changes over time, but most gravel bikes have settled to a 12x100mm bolt (12mm diameter, 100mm "dropout" inner dimension) for the front and 12x142 for the rear. Road bikes use this dimension also. MTBs are a little different with the "Boost" standard, and a few manufacturers are toying with a new standard called "Road Boost," but it is not widely used yet.
Not to hijack the thread (ok, I'm hijacking a little), but lauf uses 15X100 on the front, inserted from the drive side (so threads onto the left side). Does make swapping wheels a little more difficult. Then again, the wheels that came on mine are pretty great so I'm not looking to upgrade. But... if I wanted a set with road tires on it, I'd have to search.