Old 05-02-16, 03:11 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Hello TT thread.

Thinking ahead a couple months, this TT (rolling, 75 ft/mile, supposedly hillier than it looks):
https://www.strava.com/activities/329562425

A. Borrowed TT bike with no PM
B. Ti road bike with clip-ons and PM
C. Venge in road racing config and PM (crit is the same day, can't be messing with stuff)

What think you, TT thread?
I would be interested to hear what people who actually know what they are doing say.

My opinion is that it depends in part on what your goals/reasonable expectations are for this TT, which sounds like it must be part of a stage race? Is this something you are just trying to survive or you hope to do well in? And another factor is how used to riding TT efforts you are- as in how well you will be able to pace without a power meter. Obviously bike A will be fastest if it fits you well and you are able adapt to riding it- but if you're not good at TT pacing without a power meter and the race is important, you might be better off with bike B.

However Bike B might be faster than A if its the bike you have time to adapt to and bike A would be a last minute thing that you never get a chance to ride.

And Bike C might be the best choice if you're not willing to spend time riding in a TT position anyway.

Therefore I would say if choice B is your own bike and you will be able to ride it regularly and adapt to the position, then first choice B, second choice A provided you are decent at pacing and third choice C.
If however bike A is a bike you could borrow now and ride regularly until your race AND you're decent at pacing, then choices would be A then B then C.
If you're never going to ride any of these bikes much before the event, and therefore not adapt to a TT position anyway, then I'd say C then B then A.