View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 11:54 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Cturrin1
do you know how to repair the circuit board if the wrong power supply was plugged in? I’d post a picture but looks like I can’t.
Most of the time it'll fry the voltage regulator, and hard to say what else after that. The voltage regulator is probably U5, but I can't read the label on it to confirm. I'd say it's 50/50 as to if it's fixable. At a minimum, it's a fair amount of following traces and SMT re-work.
If the voltage regulator fails open, it probably put 24V on the main controller chip, which would definitely kill it. That's a replaceable module, but there's no way for anyone (other than Wahoo) to program it.
I personally have a full SMT re-work station, but it would take me some time to trace the circuit. Then ordering replacement components and hoping the original event didn't fry the microcontroller. Best case it's several hours and you get it working.

Your best bet is going through Wahoo, who probably want you to send the entire trainer in. Which makes sense from their perspective, that way they send you a fully functional trainer.