View Single Post
Old 09-01-21, 03:37 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's how the final stage TT of the 1989 TdF is often summarized, but it omits some crucial details. Sometimes that 8 second loss to LeMond is characterized as a "tragedy" for Fignon, or some such thing. But it was just a tactical error on Fignon's part.

In the 1989 Tour de France there were five time trials: the prologue and three other individual TTs, including an individual mountain time trial, and one team TT.

If I'm recalling correctly, Fignon used aero gear on every other time trial *except* for the final. I just reviewed the highlights of that '89 TdF and it appeared that Fignon wore an aero helmet in every other individual and team TT, as well as at least a rear disc wheel. I think there was one TT in which Fignon used two disc wheels to LeMond's single disc wheel.

LeMond used the early Scott-type elbow rest aero bars in Stage 5, the first individual TT after the prologue. (I've tried those Scott aero bars -- they're horrible, an ergonomic nightmare to get into and hold a tuck for more than a minute or two at a time, at least for me due to neck and shoulder injuries. The newer Profile carbon fiber aero bars were much better, supporting the elbows rather than just the forearms.) Fignon's team protested but the Tour organizers ruled the aero bars were acceptable. At that point Fignon had the option to try using the aero bars himself. He didn't do so, possibly because he needed more time to practice. Possibly because he was a traditionalist and a bit vain. But he definitely didn't resist using whatever aero advantages were available, including those early sloping top tube funny bikes for time trials. Even the diehard traditionalist Bernard Hinault, a powerful time trialist, wore an aero helmet for time trials in 1985 and '86.

At that point Fignon had more than two weeks to at least try using aero bars to prepare for the final stage. But by the final stage, he even declined to use the aero helmet that he'd already worn in previous TTs. That was a significant tactical error.

Another interesting bit of trivia, possibly a bit of irony: The 1989 Tour de France was Pedro Delgado's to win or lose. He was the defending champion, pre-race betting favorite, and blew nearly 3 minutes with a late start at the prologue time trial.

After the first stage some commentators said the tour was over for Delgado because of that deficit.

Delgado remained a threat throughout the '89 Tour, and did very well in time trials despite not consistently using the available aero kit. If I'm recalling correctly he went bareheaded on at least one individual TT. I don't recall whether he used disc wheels.

Delgado finished in 3rd place, 3'34" behind LeMond. Going into the final stage TT, he had basically the same deficit he started with due to the late start at the prologue. Delgado rode a phenomenal Tour that year, but faltered on the final TT and lost nearly a minute.

I suspect the reason Delgado's name isn't associated with as much "What if?" speculation as Fignon ("What if Laurent had worn his aero helmet? What if he'd at least tried the aero bars on that final TT?), is because Delgado was suspected of doping. He'd been gigged the year before when he won the '88 TdF for using a diuretic masking agent, used to conceal the use of steroids, but some technicality or ruling allowed him to keep the title.

Anyway, the 2021 final stage was more of a competitive criterium rather than a processional and formality. Probably because Cavendish was going for the 35th stage win, which juiced up everyone's interest in a real final stage rather than just a champagne parade.
Fignon used disc wheels front and rear in the final TT. Lemond used disc rear and spoke front. The received wisdom is that it was a little windy on the day, and a spoke front would have been easier to control. It’s been said that Fignon looked uncomfortable on his bike.

That discomfort may have been due to the “mother and father of all saddle sores,” with which he was apparently suffering at the time.

The technicality for Delgado was that the substance he got popped for was on the Olympic banned list, but not the UCI. By their own rules, the UCI couldn’t take action.

Delgado not only lost time in the prologue, he then went out and blew up on the TTT next day and lost another shedload of time. After day 2 he was in dead last place, 7 or 8 minutes down.