Old 12-06-21, 07:53 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Below is Wahoo's response, which at first was minimizing this as "normal" GPS unit performance...

XXXX (Wahoo Fitness Support) Dec 6, 2021, 7:57 AM EST

Hi YYYY,

Thanks for your follow up. After passing along the issues you're having and consulting with others, I've confirmed that your Bolt 2's GPS functionality is performing below expectations. Since your Bolt and ELEMENT companion app are both up to date, we can look to see if there's an update available for local maps through the ELEMNT companion app. Instructions on that below:

Updating maps, viewing map size or deleting maps:

Select Update local maps under the MAPS ON ELEMNT section to receive the latest map versions. Updating maps also enables ELEMNT ROAM's smart navigation features. Installed maps and their file sizes are displayed in the MAPS ON ELEMNT section (highlighted in the image below). Select a location to view detailed file size info or to delete maps for a specific area.

If this fails to resolve your issue, please let me know in your reply and include:

- Proof of purchase for the Bolt
- A photo of the Bolt's serial number (on rear of device) - Preferred shipping address
- Current phone number

and we'll be happy to look into replacement options for you.

Best,
XXXX
Customer Support Representative

Bmwpowere36m3

Dec 4, 2021, 7:48 PM EST

To me its poor performance, when my phone does a better job at navigation cues, on average only 25’ delayed and updates to next cue while in the turn. Sure, the bolt gets there’s eventually, but its delayed by a good margin. For a device, whose main feature (one of) is navigation... To be staring at a tiny screen looking at cross streets while on the road... please. Just give me a turn cue at the proper time. I’m hearing from others the same issue with delayed cues.

I suspect the Roam is no different? Maybe need to look at Karoo or Garmin and return this unit within the trial period. Too bad, otherwise a decent unit. ~ YYYY

XXXX (Wahoo Fitness Support) Dec 3, 2021, 10:59 AM EST

Hi YYYY,

Thanks for your follow up. In the attached video, the distance to the turn goes from > 100 ft, to ~ 75 ft, to ~ 35 ft in a matter of seconds- as I said, this is within an acceptable range of performance for the Bolt's GPS functionality as GPS is inherently limited and cannot be hyper-precise. Using the Bolt's navigation function in areas where you have to turn onto one of several cross streets can get tricky (I've taken a wrong turn myself a few times). It's best in these scenarios to have the navigation screen zoomed in as much as possible to magnify the cross-sections and reduce confusion- the Bolt is not able to provide exact and instantaneous distance reading (down to the foot) to the next turn.

Best,
XXXX

Bmwpowere36m3

Dec 2, 2021, 10:12 AM EST

Hi XXXX,

The video is to illustrate that when approaching a turn... while the unit is correctly indicating the direction of the turn. At the point where you must start the turn, the ubit is suggesting the turn is still up the road by ~75’. In reality you’d be making a decision even sooner that this to turn.

Where it’s burned me, is when there multiple close cross streets and I took a late turn.

[img]file://localhost/Users/Mike/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0clip_image002.png[/img]It’s also always lagging the distance to turn and never ahead... if it was positional error, it should be late and early within some error band.

Why is it when stopped at the turn point it’s off only 20-ish feet, totally acceptable. But when your rolling up to the turn, at the same point its 75ft off?

Finally it does update “post” turn, but it takes a number of seconds... so your way past the turn only to find that maybe you’ve taken the wrong one.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 2, 2021, at 8:27 AM, XXXX (Wahoo Fitness Support) <support@wahoofitness.zendesk.com> wrote:
>
>

XXXX (Wahoo Fitness Support) Dec 2, 2021, 8:27 AM EST

Hi YYYY,

Thanks for contacting Wahoo Fitness Support. I appreciate the included video. In response to your concerns:

- In the video you've sent, I'm assuming the 'mark's are meant to indicate you're making the turn. If this is the case, it would appear the Bolt updates the route almost instantly and re-orients to reflect that you've turned. The GPS marker also seems to correctly indicate your position in relation to the turn.

- This can happen as a result of inherent lag involved with GPS speed tracking. It can take the computer several seconds to 'verify' that you've come to a complete stop, and 5 seconds is within an acceptable range for the computer to auto-pause. For more accurate auto-starts and pauses, we'd recommend using a speed sensor, and changing your 'Speed' data source in the ELEMNT companion app from GPS to the dedicated speed sensor.

- This issue is very much related to the previous point. Because of the inherent imperfections in GPS speed tracking, riding at low speeds can trigger inadvertent auto-pauses. Again, we'd recommended a dedicated speed sensor, or disabling auto-pause altogether.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,
XXXX

Bmwpowere36m3

Dec 1, 2021, 10:29 AM EST

Experiencing the following issues with the Bolt v2

During navigation, turn prompts are late by 50-100 ft while on the road. Meaning, when I should start to turn, the navigation cue is showing I still have 50-100 ft to go till the turn.

When coming to a stop it will take a number of seconds (at least 5) for it to pause the ride.

When riding slow, sub 4 mph, usually on a trail it'll randomly auto start/pause. Sometimes even when stopped.

Version WA27-13671

Images attached are when STOPPED at the start of the turn. Video shows response when approaching turn without stopping.