burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Well, unless you want to cut an arm off or something, you aren't going to be able to vary your weight much in a reasonably short time frame. But you're talking about an event where a couple of pounds could make a substantial difference because it's pretty much completely acceleration, and you said you're using a 38 pound bike. Couple of grams at $10,000, my butt, it would cost you a few hundred bucks to get a bike 10 pounds lighter than that.

BTW, I see where you misinterpreted me, I meant that the weight of the bike is more important in this context than it is in other contexts, not that the bike's weight was a more important factor than your weight. The same could also be said of your weight--it would matter most in acceleration and climbing as compared to other types of riding.
After our winter run club meet on Tuesday night I met a guy and bought a used name brand track bike for $250. Rideable, holds air, good deal. I have spare old TT parts for it and an old saddle that fits my bum. Zero dollars there. I have some used 23mm GP5000 tires to use, zero dollars there. It has 88 gear inches. It's actually pretty darn light for what it is.

I don't think $250 is a high barrier of entry to go fast for 100 meters, or 4km in my case if I fancy a formal track race on it. As I didn't buy it for 100m. But rather for 4000m.
Likes For burnthesheep: