Old 01-24-22, 06:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
The OP's definition of "road" is pretty key here.

Some people consider disc brakes to be not road. Some people consider steel to be not road, some consider generous tire clearance to be not road, some people consider eyelets (anywhere) to be not road, some people consider road to be defined by some particular geometry or a particular weight.

I think the best thing is for OP to spec what he/she means by "road", add to that spec the amount of clearance needed for the desired tires, and start searching. The key to a successful search is to ignore how the bike is marketed (e.g. road, gravel, adventure, cross, touring, tri, yada yada) and find the bikes that meet the specifications. I expect there are plenty.

I recently built a Soma Fog Cutter. I consider it a road bike, capable of handling (at least) 700x38 or 650bx42 with fenders, and easily accommodates my studded 32mm tires. But it's steel, has fender and rack eyelets, disc brakes, and a fair amount of stack vs seattube length. Some people might call it an adventure bike. Shrug.
Likes For downtube42: