View Single Post
Old 06-02-12, 05:51 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
I've posted this before & in another recent Thread, but here 'tis once again...!

Took me a few years to nail down the year it was made, but thx to the Forum & the internet, I'm led to believe it's a '74 model. Serial # stamped on the BB is 3892415. I purchased it as a frame only, maybe in '78 or '79, as it was a new frame hanging in a shop & never built up. It did have a Stronglight BB & Headset already installed. I removed those & replaced the headset w/ an Edco Competition & later installed a Titanium BB spindle & a Campy Aluminum Freewheel. The stem's a 1-record & the handlebars bars are Cinelli Champione Del Mondo's. Mavic GP4 32 hole rims w/ Vittorio Tubulars. I did have to use a drop-bolt to for the rear brake & the front brake just makes it. I put the stitched leather bar wrap on & it's held-up all these years. Last month I did put a new Edco Comp headset in (I bought 4 or 5 of them, all black, when a LBS was closing them out years ago). The former one was pretty chewed-up from years of wrenching on it, but the races are actually still OK. Great Headsets! It's really a light bike & weighs less than 20 lbs & in exclt conditon...

The shop owner was a Frenchman & had been a racer back in the day. He was keen on Motobecane bikes at the time. Pierre was his name & he owned Velo Club Bike shop in San Carlos, CA (long gone). IIRC...I pd $275 for it. I took my time putting it together because I wanted to use all Campy Super Record parts. Yes, they were pricey back then. When done, I rode it for years all through the hills of Woodside, CA. Not necessarily a great hill climber, but what a comfortable cruising bike. I only fell from it once & that was at a stop sign because I couldn't get out of the toe-clips fast enough. No damage done. Still can't stand those things...

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 10-29-12 at 06:11 PM.