View Single Post
Old 10-29-12, 07:39 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I have to laugh about the GR snobbery, what's with that? Nice Moto B's are uncommon, it appears nice owners might be rarer? Anyway my GJ has something few GR or GJ's will ever have. The original owner (me), purchased new from the Bike Stand in Olympia, Wa..1973. Ridden cross continent in '76 by me. Still ridden by me. Reynolds 531 3 main tubes. Has original bars (Pivo), original Saddle (Ideale), original brake levers (Weinmann), original derailleurs (Huret Jubilee), original crank (SL 49d & SL headset) shorter stem (TTT), and...for the really wild...MaFac cantilevers, Super Champion rims, Avocet hubs. Gorgeous red with black accent and gold pinstriped Nervex cutout lugs. Time Criterium pedals. A sweet smooth ride.

As I barely recall, in '73 a GR I looked at had all 531 DB, including front fork. My GJ was about $214 and the GR was well over $300 (like $375?) and Campy equipped. I also recall that the bottom bracket lugs were cutout on the GR but not on the GJ.