Thread: Cyclist Hit
View Single Post
Old 02-13-20, 12:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Too simplistic. YOU are driving along lawfully. A deer jumps out of the woods, flies through your windshield and bashes in your face, knocking you unconscious and causing you to lose control and strike a cyclist who is riding lawfully on a shoulder and who is otherwise in compliance with all applicable laws. Or YOU have a sudden heart attack, stroke or other debilitating medical emergency, having no previous signs of any such event happening. Same result: Dead cyclist. YOU are negligent? What should be YOUR criminal sentence? How much should YOUR insurance premium rise because of YOUR negligence?

Both parties can be exercising reasonable care under the circumstance (which is what the law of negligence requires) and "it" can still (and does) happen.

I guess if you don't drive it's attractive and easy to suggest a liability framework like you propose. But everyone who does better think about the potential consequences to themselves before they back something like that.
OK, I'll accept that the cyclists killed when deer break windshields or the drivers have heart attacks are victims of accidents. Yeah, and I know these accidents kill cyclists every day (combining this planet's cyclists with all the other cyclists from other planets, galaxies and universes). But I suspect more cyclists are killed by drivers that simply aren't looking or thinking about their driving.
Likes For 79pmooney: