View Single Post
Old 04-10-20, 09:09 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I did a little more digging on this particular jacket, both in its specs and overall reviews. I couldn't find any on this jacket from outlets that I would usually trust. Powder magazine praised it here generically, which doesn't mean anything. On Helly Hansen's website, they mention "15,000gm moisture vapor permeability", which without seeing their breathability testing setup, can only be compared to other products in their own lineup. I am slightly skeptical about the membrane HH chose to use as they brought no attention to it. For kicks and giggles, I looked up some breathability ratings and found a nice write-up on evo.com. For high intensity activities, they recommend jackets in the 20,000g plus range.

In addition, the "52 reviews at Helly Hansen by serious outdoor people" (mjac post 19) seem more like average joes who happen to like the jacket. To play devil's advocate, the jacket features 3 layer construction (it better for $300!), fully taped seams (another expected item for the price), and is (hopefully) decently breathable. It seems like a nice jacket, but this is a cycling specific forum. Some of the most highly praised shell jackets come from Showers Pass as they feature cycling specific cuts and are exceedingly water resistant and breathable.
Not a bad write up, pretty informative, well researched and cogent actually. Much better then the ignorant, irrelevant original post you made that Ironfish653 saw fit to like.

Now down to business. You have actually verified all of the claims I have made about this jacket by after doing rather extensive research not being able to refute a single one. As some of your research led you to the evo.com article that was pretty good which recommended 20,000 grams/meter squared rating for high level activity, that is attainable in light weight shells within reasonable price ranges but not very attainable in a three layer professional grade winter jacket at an approachable price. Show me another jacket in this price range that has 15,000 grams/meter squared vapor,moisture permeability. That is exceptional breath ability for a jacket with this high of a waterproof rating and windproof rating not to mention in this price range ven at its regular price of $300. You add all that up and realize this man Gconan was able to purchase this jacket off of Amazon at an end of season sale for $87 with probably no taxes, free shipping and Rene returns there is not a negative thing you can say despite your best efforts because you hate to see something positive happen.

I believe you did some selective reading of the reviews at Helly Hansen. They included reviews from Alpinests and Expeditionists from around the world who were verified purchasers. Again, a refusal on your part to acknowledge anything positive.

There may be som excellent cycling specific apparel at Showers Pass. Show me a jacket that has these windproof, waterproof and moisture,vapor permeability ratings for $60 - $87 that this sale provides in the Vanir Slidr Jacket. Which is the point of this whole thread which you have apparently missed.