Thread: Awesome Jacket
View Single Post
Old 04-11-20, 05:18 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Nice generalization, now let's get down to some actual facts. I have shown the specifications, construction details and ancedotal performance in reviews by pretty serious outdoor people at Helly Hansen of this jacket. Oso Polar provided a link to a sale on Amazon where this pretty descent harsh weather jacket is available for $57 - $87 in certain sizes and colors. Show me any jacket with the same specifications and construction that can be had for anything remotely close to that price. Go ahead. I am waiting.
How about No.
I don't really have the time (Ok, I do, but I don't feel the need to) to get into the weeds about the lab test values of the waterproof ability of a jacket. I don't wear my jacket in the lab. Ok, I do, but only if I've just come inside.

None of us really have a quarrel with the jacket itself, it seems like a nice enough jacket, good price for the brand, but nothing you couldn't also get from labels like TheNorthFace, Mountain HardWear and even L.L.Bean. Some of us are pretty serious outdoor people, too, and our requirements for a cycling rain jacket, or our definition what severe weather entails might be different than yours.

It's just that the effusive, florid prose in praise of this jacket, and your strangely congratulatory, yet relentless pursuit of the members who expressed interest in it, coupled with the righteous indignation leveled at the intelligence of those who had the temerity to say 'Meh,' is just, well, really over the top for something as mundane as a jacket.

I mean, since your crusade to become a martyr in defense of Gatorbacks didn't work out, this is the hill you've chosen to die on?
Likes For Ironfish653: