Old 08-08-13, 12:08 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Finally some progress

Ok so its taken a long time...This first picture is progress from last week. The frame has been cleaned, the seat tube has been honed, the frame prepped with framesaver, polished and waxed. Not that it looks like it with all the chips and scraps on it. It came with 27" knobbies so I suspect I saved it from a life of cyclecross. Surprisingly for the scraps and missing paint there aren't any dings in the tubes.

I had to order a new Huret downtube shifter clamp since the campy ones I have are all built in for the friction shifters. The Huret was the only thing I could find that was exactly like braze on shifter bosses and would accept either my Campy shifters or my Shimano shifters. I also had to order brown brake cables at the same time so all that took an extra week. The last couple of days have been long work days so I only get a little done. Most of it has been spent stuffing the high profile 32c's I'm running under the brakes and front rack mounts. And don't get me started on where I have to go to find M5 and M6 nuts and bolts. I think they are made of gold, not stainless steel, they are so elusive at what we have for hardware stores anymore. but the rack is finally mounted, the seat has a seatbolt and none of the 32c's currently rub anything. But I am bummed I won't be running fenders with them like the Cannondale SR400. If I went to 28's I wouldn't have a problem..

I had to swap out my Campy front derailleur for the Suntour because the cable bolt threads wound up being stripped out on the Campy. I might swap it our for something else but right now I'll try it.

1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics