Old 06-08-22, 05:21 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Seems to me that you really don't have the room for fenders, going from the little I can see in side photo and your comment on toe overlap
My 26inch touring bike, surly troll, has the advantage of tons of room for up to 2.6 or 2.8 inch tires, but also for not having any toe strike even with my fenders set up with ample mud clearance space between tires and fenders.

My commuter with fenders and 700, and platform pedals has a bit of toe strike at times, but it doesn't cause a problem.
An old bike I had one with fenders had bad toe fender overlap and when it was brand new, within a block of the bike store, my foot hit the front fender, jamming it in the wheel and bending the fender into the front tire, folding the fender up, ruining it-- so do be wary, toe fender strike can be slightly annoying or can fold the fender under the wheel if fender is flexible enough.

Ps, I just put my 2inch ( 50mm) slicks back on my bike and use about 35 psi in them. Pressures slightly higher with loaded panniers.
I do only weigh 135.
Just watch pressures on these 55mm tires, over inflating defeats the purpose and ride experience.
What pressures are you trying, what is body weight?
I'm about 190 so maybe 200 lbs fully clothed, etc. I think they are at about 45 psi at the moment, but that was to make sure they seated properly. They roll fine but I think I can go a bit lower.

In retrospect, I think 650b wheels might work better. These are "borrowed" from another bike that really didn't need 3 wheel-sets, and I can see where having a dynamo hub could be nice.