View Single Post
Old 05-28-20, 09:57 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
At some point perhaps in the late 1980's or early 1990's, TTT's published bar and road stem diameter became a "proprietary" 25.8mm.
That is interesting. I don't really remember the proprietary 25.8mm, but this was towards the end of my wrenching days. Either I forgot, or didn't notice, or it came after my last LBS job. It had been hammered into my head for years that 3TTT was 26.0 and Cinelli was 26.4mm.

I suspect your theory that this was done for legal reasons is correct. The late late 80s to early 90s was a period of a lot of experimentation in bars and stems, and much of it was frankly pretty wackadoodle. There were those terrible early anatomic bars, split stems, lots of stupid stuff. I can see how they wouldn't want the liability of people mixing their bars and stems with those made by other manufacturers.

I find it very hard to believe that 3ttt really changed the actual size. Obviously this could be verified by measuring.