Old 02-13-22, 05:08 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I've welded various things, close to brazes, and I'm pretty confident I can make this one work. I choose mig because it's more resistant to contamination.
Cool, now I wanna get me a MIG welder! I have only been a TIG guy so far. Mostly self-taught and hardly past Beginner status. I took a Ti framebuilding class from Gary Helfrich and went on to weld titanium frames at Davidson and at Ti Cycles, and a few dozen (maybe a hundred?) steel frames including stainless, so my welding experience has mostly been on extremely clean things. I don't love spatter and fumes, but I could learn to love it for the extreme ease and speed of MIG. I'm making a Jeremy Schmidt belt grinder:

I've cut out the pieces but haven't started welding yet. Figured I'd TIG weld it since I have one, but it's amazing to watch Jer weld his with MIG, so damn fast. A good MIG welder is a chunk of change though, would make my new belt grinder very expensive! I'm afraid I wouldn't use it enough after the grinder build to make it pay for itself.

Anyway, thanks for educating me.

Mark B

Last edited by bulgie; 02-13-22 at 05:19 PM.
Likes For bulgie: