Old 09-04-22, 11:37 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I recently picked up a Pro Miyata frame from a BFer. I'm thinking this was a SunTour Superbe build. I went Cyclone derailleurs and brakes, Campy Chorus triple so not all that far out of line (with some concession to 69 years on the planet and what I had on hand). Frame and fork are stickered with Miyata Cro-Mo tubing.

Impression? Best race frame I've ever ridden, easily. Fully race stiff for someone much stronger than me, rides easily over poor pavement and feels rock solid secure on turns. Like a bike I could trust at speeds I will never do again. (I used to race. There's a descent I've done twice that is fast. Out lead car, a local cop, had to do 60 between turns to stay ahead of us. I absolutely trusted that Fuji Pro but this bike is better in every respect.)

The frame has ovalized seat stays and fork blades. Shades of the aero tubes that came later. They look like they should make the bike flexy side to side but I cannot find a trace of compromise. I still don't know the frame's year. It has the same paint and nearly all of the details of Mr. 66's sky blue race bike above but not the seatstay bridge diamond reinforcement and mine has the braze-on for the top-mounted SunTour Symmetric shifters (which I love and wanted on my Fuji Pro in 1977 so I wouldn't slam the bike into the 42-13 with my knee climbing walls!) My Pro shares braze-ons with Pompiere's Miyata above which is an '84 (using his stated age and math). My DT shifter is similar but not model. Our fork crowns are different (mine's fully sloping) and my chainstays and dropouts are chromed under the pain like Mr. 66's.

Mr. 66, do you know what year your bike is? I'm guessing mine is a year earlier with the differences I noted above.
If I recall Tmar called mine as a 1980.

Yours if it has piggyback shift mount would be 1982 or 83.