MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yesterday evening, we met up with our friends, another family with a boy our son's age, and had a little distanced hang-out/picnic in the park. The hubby is a guy that, last year, had decided to start riding and entered his first race. This was really the first time that I'd caught up with him in a while, so I thought that it'd be, uh, interesting to see where he was with things.

Yeah, I get the feeling that he hasn't raced again since getting ejected OTB. Now he's decided that he's going to concentrate on running with an eye on triathlons next year. BUT, "I'm not going to bother unless I think I can podium, though. I mean, what's the point, otherwise?"

Towards cycling, he's got a very weird perspective. He was relishing the fact that the River Road has been shut down to traffic, saying that it's one of the only places where you can "open it up," and was lamenting that it would eventually be re-opened to vehicular traffic. I've been riding that road for several years and the closure hasn't made a difference for me, so it makes me think that he's sticking to MUPs pretty much exclusively and riding on the road is a big treat for him. At the same time, he seems to have contempt for other MUPpers, "I get a kick out of these guys that pass me, thinking they're going fast, but then I think, 'yeah, let's see what happens when we hit an incline.'" Yes - he fancies himself a climber... in MN.

And then the equipment justification. Yow. He spent a bunch of time telling me about how a carbon bike, or discs, or this or that wasn't worth it. That it would be frustrating because, "it'd be like having a race car as a daily driver and you'd never get to push it to its limits." So very weird.
This is why we don't socialize that much.