View Single Post
Old 06-27-05, 05:57 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Well, it should be a 77 according to the serial number, but vintage trek contains this tidbit:

"2. Some other serial numbers, beginning with M or N, have date codes of 7,8 and 9. The remaining part of the SNs seems normal. According to the brochures, Trek did not make 41X and 61X bikes or frames during 77, 78, and 79 (also not in 87, 88, or 89). Either these serial numbers do not follow the convention used in the other numbers (likely), or Trek did make 41x and 61X bikes earlier than shown in the brochures (unlikely). A former Trek employee (during 1977-78) says: "There were no 400 nor 600 models at the time, although these could have been introduced in late 1978 after I left." If the TREK letters on the seatpost have no colorwrap behind, the bike is from 1980 or perhaps 1981."

which corresponds to my serial number. The bike also has a glued on headbadge, not screwed on, I think these came in in 1980, and the decals are correct (though I've often wondered about the seat-tube decals on the downtube and how they got there, I don't think I've seen this in other Treks of this vintage). The cats on the v-trek site don't have a picture from the model year. The bike is definitely a bit odd, between the serial number and the decals.

So I kinda figured 1980 as the model year for this one. I'm open to re-adjustment, though, as in dealing with Peugeots I have found dating can be a most inexact science at times. And what info I have is from the v-trek site.

Agreed on the quality of the 022. IMHO, Ishiwata tubing is on a par with anything else, and though it may lack the cachet of some Euro stuff, both the bikes I have made from Ishiwata Tubes-- this Trek and a Bridgestone RB2 (Ishiwata EX)-- are superb rides. I'd grab another if it happened my way.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!