Old 08-28-20, 05:42 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I guess that depends on the ebike. The one I rented was limited to about 25 miles and was so heavy I wouldn't have wanted to ride it another mile without power. Not to mention my average speed with power assist on that bike was a few mph lower than my normal speed on an unassisted road bike. So on that bike at least, my ride was both slower and shorter. That's just my experience. Which is why I recommend renting one before you buy it. I thought it was going to be great for my wife to be able to ride with me, but we were both really disappointed with the experience. Other people seem to enjoy them which is fine with me too.

Exactly, by a fairly significant margin, but I'm only 49. While I'm sure battery technology will come a long way by the time I'm in my 70's, I'm also pretty sure I'l just get some lower gears. Sometimes I ride fast and far, but I'm also fine with slow and short.
Lol, you're a youngster. At some point as you age, your body will not accept all your choices. Then you either have to decide to limit your activities or assist your body. It'll be interesting what you decide to do when you actually get to that point and it's not just a mental exercise. By all means, hold it off as long as you can, but I guarantee you at some point your body is going to say "no" and you'll have to decide whether to listen or find workarounds.