Old 02-12-24, 01:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11032 Post(s)
Liked 7,579 Times in 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I get that, but you may spend most or all of that $200 paying to have the parts switched. Or, depending on what you do for a living may find you can make more in the time it would take you to make the switch than you can get for the parts.
Sure, that is possible.
So assuming a shop is needed to install parts...then the parts are installed, that cost is paid for by the mechanical shift components you sold off, and you still save a bunch of money compared to buying the Di2 bike.

As for your last scenario, yeah maybe you make more in the time it would take you to make the switch than what you can get for the parts. <--I dont you phrased that correctly, but lets roll with it because I think I know what you mean.
- I find it hilarious to see this sort of scenario discussed when it comes to hobby cycling. It could be true for a very select few people, but it isnt at all applicable for most anyone else(this analysis is based on everyone I have met and know). The comedy is based in the false choice that someone must either be working and earning money or 'losing' money by participating in a hobby. Thats just straight goofy. I can list bike parts on ebay or paceline at 9pm and am not giving up the chance to earn more money by working at my job instead. This is true for basically every salaried and hourly person I know. An attorney in private practice could use that time to make more money, but even then, the assumption is absurd since for it to be true it requires someone to always work instead of enjoy hobbies or leisure. Using that absurd view, then everything that person does in life outside of work would be viewed as a financial loss. Watch kids play sports?...financial loss. Go to dinner with spouse?...financial loss(well, double loss). Walk the dogs?...financial loss.
Its just a goofy way to argue if something is, in general, worth spending time on.
Based on how much time people watch TV, read, scroll social media, etc- there is plenty of time for most of us to not waste before we need to genuinely question if spending 10min of free time to post some components that sell for $200 is 'smart' or not.
Likes For mstateglfr: