View Single Post
Old 03-24-22, 05:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Not to derail this ( although maybe it could use a little derailing, lol), but I'm a 2 wheel rider who may be switching to recumbent because of balance issues. This conversation makes me wonder about what it will be like switching over. I'll be riding mostly flats, especially at first, but it sounds like any muscle I have now is gonna be fairly useless ha ha. What's the adaptation curve like? My gearing will go down to 17 gear inches, and if I spin rather than mash, I'll be able to ride albeit slowlly, right? How long does it take to get to where you can do flats and little city streets with some rise? Does one not use their quads and hamstrings when riding recumbent? What muscles are you using? New to this world and thoroughly confused...and now a little scared (I'm a little old lady).
I think you mean you'll be switching between a (upright) bike and a (recumbent) trike. Not that the adaptation issue is any different, but it's important to note that not all recumbents are trikes. With 'bents, there is a tendancy to mash more, because it's an easy trap to wedge yourself between the seat back and the pedals, and just push. "Seated squats" so to speak. The adaptation is mostly about using generally the same muscles in slightly different ways in order to smooth out the pedal circle somewhat. How long it takes sort of depends on your standards of performance; it might take you longer if you have higher expectations. For most people, they will feel comfortable within 500-700 miles.