Old 08-14-22, 07:52 PM
TurboTrueno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Will stubborn tires become easier to mount after a few weeks?

New rider here.

I got some new tires, which I found quite difficult to install; after several hours I admitted defeat and took them to the LBS. They ended up blowing one tube during mounting. They told me these tires were an extremely tight fit on my wheels. A tube even popped out as he handed me the wheels back, and he had to re-mount it again. I do trust this shop and have heard good things about them, which makes me think it could be a bad idea to run these tires

I have had no problems so far changing tubes at the roadside with my old tires. I am worried these new tires may be beyond my capabilities to change in a reasonable amount of time. I bike to work; with the old tires I have changed the tube in around 5 minutes. I don't want to be fiddling with a tire for 15+ minutes the next time I get a flat.

Will the tires "soften up" and become easier to mount/dismount after some miles?

My issue was not getting the tires on the rim, but fitting the tube inside properly without pinching/folding it. This was also my first time fitting "folding tires"

New tires: "Challenge elite xp pro" 25c (First time trying fat tires. They feel ok)
Rims: "Velocity Aerohead" ( I think they are 20mm wide inside, I forgot to measure them with the tire off. no measurement marking on them)
Old tires: "BBB Roadride" 23c Very easy to mount/dismount, they came with the bike and were over 10 years old. I really liked these tires a lot, but they were starting to wear through after several thousand km.

Thank you for checking my post