Old 08-19-22, 04:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTrueno
New rider here.

I got some new tires, which I found quite difficult to install; after several hours I admitted defeat and took them to the LBS. They ended up blowing one tube during mounting. They told me these tires were an extremely tight fit on my wheels. A tube even popped out as he handed me the wheels back, and he had to re-mount it again. I do trust this shop and have heard good things about them, which makes me think it could be a bad idea to run these tires

I have had no problems so far changing tubes at the roadside with my old tires. I am worried these new tires may be beyond my capabilities to change in a reasonable amount of time. I bike to work; with the old tires I have changed the tube in around 5 minutes. I don't want to be fiddling with a tire for 15+ minutes the next time I get a flat.

Will the tires "soften up" and become easier to mount/dismount after some miles?

My issue was not getting the tires on the rim, but fitting the tube inside properly without pinching/folding it. This was also my first time fitting "folding tires"

New tires: "Challenge elite xp pro" 25c (First time trying fat tires. They feel ok)
Rims: "Velocity Aerohead" ( I think they are 20mm wide inside, I forgot to measure them with the tire off. no measurement marking on them)
Old tires: "BBB Roadride" 23c Very easy to mount/dismount, they came with the bike and were over 10 years old. I really liked these tires a lot, but they were starting to wear through after several thousand km.

Thank you for checking my post
I am not sure i understand the don't have problem with getting tire on rim, but with the tube.pinching folding
in general just barely inflating the tube enough to put some shape in the tube helps, also using tube that matches the tire size (smaller but not bigger) helps.
after one bad experience in the wild, If i have tires that are tight to put on in the shop, I let them sit a couple of days and then do a simulated flat fix using what i carry on my bike.
Metal levers can help

Likes For squirtdad: