Old 09-13-22, 06:14 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 437 Posts
If you're wondering of there's some mathematical formula/relationship between height and fore/aft - there might be for some 'Fit' systems. But really there are too many variables, even before considering the possible ranges in human physio for the elements involved. Saddle design (as relates to where one sits) will have a great effect. Then there's 'Why' ... Maybe because rider wants a light touch on the bars - or - rider is competing in events which call for constant, hard, quick, accels & decels - or - rider is setting for max power at a constant tempo of riding - lots of 'riding' variables.
Riders competing in 'crit' type riding, or track, or TT might find themselves better positioned 'forward', whereas a rider having to do a steady hard tempo over longer distance may find a bit more rearward position works best - a range. How does one decide? I find that if my riding style for the type of riding I do most, when power needs are required, finds me constantly moving forward on the saddle when I need to lay power down - I'll move the saddle forward in smaller increments, until I find a good balance between my fore and aft movements, during efforts.
Over the many years, I've come to my 'start' points, which find me going there when I first get on a new bike. Then I ride, and adjust over a number of rides, in small increments (3-4mm).
My 'std' measure point is different from some common measures used, like 'saddle nose setback'. But saddles have always varied, especially now with the large increase in variants - like the new 'power' type saddle which are quite a bit shorter overall. I use BB to sitzbones placement. I find where my sitzbones will be on the saddle, and that cross line on the saddle is (or was) 30.5 cm behind the BB (that MY number, most certainly diff. for others). 'Was', because recently, my increase in riding harder, more often and with fast groups, makes me come forward more often - the NEW fore/aft setting is 29.5 cm.
I believe many 'Fit' systems use hip/femur angle to pick a setback. But I think that can only be an approx. because accurately measuring the angle with precision is quite 'variable'. ANd who's to say that, at any angle measured, power production over a period of a few minutes is going to be the same as power production over a longer period, like an hour of drilling the ride?
If you've made a 15mm change - that quite signifcant - I would make height adjustments in smaller increments, ride for a few days/rides and evaluate. Nothing wrong with going a bit further ('up' in your case) to know when you've reach a discernible 'limit' point. The assumption being that your current 'height' has worked well for many prior rides and was the 'sweet spot'.
Your leg length differences are as affected by Height as setback - maybe even more. It sounds like you've found the saddle which works for you. SO your current saddle height might actually be the 'spot' also. Experimenting, in small changes of saddle height ALONE/ONLY will point that out over a number of rides. Any Change will always feel 'different' - often not so great, but given time a change might be effective.
Experiment.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen: