View Single Post
Old 09-20-22, 06:12 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by ericlowney
I just remeasured the inseam with the help of my wife this time, she got 35.5" so maybe slightly more accurate than my DIY approach. Interesting about the saddle heights... I just hopped on the bike and it does seem like I could probably hike the saddle further up and decrease the amount of bend I have in my knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke. I may end up riding it into an LBS this weekend so they can take a look at me and see what they think. I was aiming for an older frame just because I really like the ride of steel and the appearance of those chromed luggs that come on some models. I just think they look a lot better than some of the new steel bikes that are lacking that character.
For me the limitation on raising the saddle is not the formula I have discussed, but whether my hips are rocking so as to cause my perineum location to rub side to side on the saddle. This can cause abrasion in that location, mild to severe (with bleeding), and it requires time off the bike to heal. I really try hard to avoid it, it so screws up the riding season! So leg-straightening helps in terms of pedal power and possibly knee comfort and that feels great, but there is a downside or limiting factor.