cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Paultreks
I never had an official bike fit. that being said, when seated my leg is at a 10 percent bend and I'm pretty comfortable for the most part so I think I'm dialed in. No knee issues so far- either going 20 miles on the flats or even when I fell on the climbs.
I have a SRAM PG950 12-26, 9 speed cassette and I believe a Bontrager Select 52/42/30 crank.
that 30 ring with your current cassette should be ok for many hills... in much of NJ. some steeper uphills might be a challenge, for now...
going to a 30 or 32 or 34 cassette will give you more range in that lowest of gear ranges. There is a common 9 spd 12-34 which will give you 2 more significantly lower gears (30 & 34) which is a low price option - only possible additional cost is a new 9 spd chain, which can also be had for well Under $30.
The cassette change is simple, cheap and quickly done, may 10 min total for a bike shop mech, start to finish. Chain? add another 10 min.
A crankset change is also a possibility, but really won't do anything more than a simple cassette change.
Save the big 'upgrades' for that time when you might decide your current bike is holding you back, or want something 'different'.

But with your current setup, you should be able to find some hills to challenge you, but not overly, and make it to the top. Go out and ride more hills. You will get better and stronger at it.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT- 4 finger typing challenged...

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-20-22 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For cyclezen: