Old 01-01-20, 01:09 AM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
On a 250, you've got 3.5 laps in a flying 200, which means you go through 7 sets of turns; 5 of them are in your windup and 2 are in the effort. On a 333, you've got 2.5 laps, which means you've got 5: 4 in your windup, 1 is in effort.

In the classic 250 corkscrew, as you're coming out of turn 2 before you get your bell, you're on the pedals, gathering speed, using the exit bank to get back up the 3/4 turn nearly full steam from which to launch your final sprint acceleration from speed.

To do the same thing on a 333, you've got to be at full height in 3/4 before your bell, regain that height in 1/2, and use the full drop-off from turn 2 in your sprint acceleration. This means that you've got 1.5 laps to gain the rail. Personally I'd get most of the way there by turn 2, using a bit of bank coming out of it for speed to get up it in 3/4 before the bell.

But overall, unless you're racing in Moscow, you're dealing with a lot less height and there's a lot more room for flexibility - with fewer turns, too, there are fewer options to tire yourself by gaining altitude only to lose it. Especially if you're a "less peak, more endurance," it seems a very forgiving environment for a flying 200. Just make sure you're at the rail by turn 2 in your bell lap and come down off of it, don't cross that line too high.
Thank you, good and helpful summary. I’ve been experimenting a bit with my windup, will report back, maybe get some video. This is fun.