Old 04-28-22, 11:02 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
While everyone says it's terrible to re-use pins on a 11 speed chain, I did and I never had any issues. I got to ride my bike on a day when the bike shops weren't open so I could get another quick link or break-away pin.

Even if I did have an issue, what's it going to do? I've walked my bike home or called for a ride for other issues. Why not for my chain falling off?
You can certainly do anything you'd like. And unless you're riding in the Gobi desert, you can probably get home after a problem by walking or by calling someone.

People do all kinds of things with their bikes to varying degrees of success. But just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done as a matter of course.

As an aside, I've only been a member of this group for a short time, but I have noticed a trend: People seem all-consumed about saving money in the weirdest places, and on some of the cheapest things! Grease, oil, cable end caps(!), handlebar tape, chains.

Why are people obsessing about things that are relatively cheap to replace, instead of trying to figure out shortcuts that could cost them more in the long run, and are possibly dangerous to boot?