Old 07-29-17, 07:19 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Adventure Cycling re-routed its Northern Tier route for the same reason. It used to go through Williston and then take 1804. I did it in '99 and camped at the Sakakawea State Park on the lake. Pretty place. Now, the route drops south at Wolf Point, MT and goes through Dickinson and Bismarck on the way to Fargo, where the original route also went.

BTW...R.I.P. CANDISC. I think you may have been the one who told me this is its final year.
Yeah, it was probably me. :-) I haven't heard any rider numbers but my daughter registered two weeks ago and was accepted. They were going to cap it at 300. I'd hoped they'd reach that but it doesn't look like it. The final ride starts next weekend.

The last CANDISC ride around Sakakawea was in '04 and we camped at the same state park. A catering company from Williston was set up right across from where my dad and I were camping. They were roasting a pig and every time they had to "go check on Wilbur," the smell drifted over and caused some mouth watering. It was a long afternoon until the meal. :-)

As for the route along the Mississippi in MN, here's the official bike route:

Maps - Mississippi River Trail - MnDOT