View Single Post
Old 08-27-22, 08:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
it’s terrible. i generally avoid local social media but after having to jump back into the sidewalk when i or my kids and i had a walk signal because of a red light runner a couple times over just a few days i posted on nextdoor. it was admittedly a bit of a rant against the small minority of drivers who are just terrible, literally endangering the lives of everyone who isn’t in a car to save a few seconds.

among the responses - “rant over yet?” “it’s pedestrian’s fault for not looking,” “what about bikes on the sidewalk,” “driving in the city is so hard” and a mix of other apologist ********. the thing is - i LIKE driving fast. i like fast cars, preferably RWD or AWD with a real stick and tons of power. i definitely drive over the limit at times. it doesn’t bother me if someone else does when one could make a reasonable judgement that it’s safe. but blatantly running a red light at 30+ on a city street? reckless endangerment at best.

i walked out of my office a few days ago (in the financial district) and was about to step into the street on a completely green light with walk signal when a woman in a beat up old white civic blasted through the intersection perpendicular to me. the light wasn’t even freshly green my way! and lights in the city last about 20 seconds each way, she’s hardly saving a lot of time.

/rant off

gotta make it out for a ride tomorrow!! new chain day.
A couple weeks ago I was at Canada and 92. I punched the button for the light, and waited patiently. The light changed, and the nearest car on 92 stopped so I started out. I had difficulty clipping in (damn Keos!), so I slow rolled across 92, and ZOOM! some guy running a completely red light at 50 mph in a 45 zone blows through the light. If I'd been successful clipping in, I'd have been crossing that lane and he'd probably have killed me. Happy thought, eh?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles