View Single Post
Old 11-29-22, 08:47 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1549:

Over the weekend I went through my bikes and caught up on some maintenance. On my fat bike I serviced the chain and re-sealed the tubeless tires. I'm glad I got that done, because I needed the fat bike today.

Woke up to 2" of snow on the ground, and snow still falling. Temperature wasn't bad at 24°F. There was a stout headwind, which made my already slow fat bike even slower. It took me nearly an hour to ride the 4.5 miles to the client location.

Snow is supposed to continue to fall through the morning until we get somewhere in the 3"-5" range. I am scheduled to ride to our company location 9 miles away over lunch for an afternoon meeting. I may just hang out at the client and join the meeting via Zoom. It's not that conditions will be so bad that I couldn't make it to the office, it's just that I'm not sure I want to take two hours out of the day to make the journey. Winter riding is annoyingly slow. It's tough to dedicate the time to log 20+ mile days when you can only average about 5 mph. On the other hand, I'm a little behind on my mileage goals for the year, and could use the extra riding. Maybe I'll suck it up and ride anyway. We'll see how buried in work I am when it comes time to leave.

One of my favorite parts about riding my bicycle to work on days like this is listening to people who drove talk about how bad the roads were.