View Single Post
Old 12-16-22, 08:59 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1562:

Wind howled all night, and the snow continued to fall. Woke up to 3" additional on the ground. Got up early this morning knowing I was going to have to clear my driveway. Thankfully it went quick and took me less than 1/2 hour.

They cancelled school today. Not sure what exactly their criteria is for making the decision. Last week when we got 9" of heavy snow they didn't cancel. Today with about 3" of light stuff they did cancel. I'm guessing today it's because of the extreme wind (25 mph minimum with gusts approaching 50 mph.) The snow is light enough that the wind is picking it up, making visibility and drifts an issue. My wife works for the school district so she was excited to have a surprise day off.

It was a slow ride to the client. I had to head straight into the wind. The fat bike is slow, but it's even slower pushing my fat body through the gale. Because of the snow blowing around, there were spots where the pavement was peeking through the snow, and other spots where the drifts were up to my knee. Had to carry the bike through a couple of the drifts, which never puts me in a good mood.

Took me 55 minutes to ride the 4.25 miles to the office. When I got there I discovered that almost everyone else stayed home due to the weather.