Old 12-13-15, 09:33 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Lots of people simply don't like dogs. How are they going to know that your dog doesn't jump or attack? Nothing to do with the outside world being outside world "sterilized/safety-checked". Everything to do with respecting other people.
First off, I am all for respecting other people, in the sense that if your dog bothers people, it's irresponsible to bring it. I cannot speak for OP's dog, but I know dogs who are total sweethearts that really don't need a leash law.

It's not like we're talking about a playground in New York City. It's practically the woods. There should be some relaxation of policy. If you're afraid of dogs, you can rehabilitate yourself at the local dog park and expect an occasional dog in national parks and trail systems.

Should we also ban bicycles? Many people get awful nervous when I pass by... or maybe it's a better idea to just have an expectation that this space isn't your living room, and to expect a variety of uses.

it is awfully cruel to your dog to have him running all day unless you wanted to make short days. And there is lots of wildlife along the trail. Unless you dog is very disciplined, you run the risk of the dog running after an animal. Not to mention it is cruel to the animal.

Seems like a HUGE stretch to judge what is "cruel" to the animal. You don't know the animal. Many breeds, including pointers, are evolutionarily honed for running all day. They are naturally athletic dogs, they LOVE the activity and if they're used to it, can not only handle the running, but thrive off of it. I'm sure the owner knows well enough to take breaks, give water and food, etc.

Lots of conclusions being leapt towards with aplomb in this thread... "ALL dogs are bad and ALL running is cruel and ALL of the counter-opinions are ignorant because I don't like dogs."