Old 06-19-17, 09:54 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
That's pretty cool stuff. I can see this being useful to a coach, or someone with some kinesiology background. It used to be that we did bike fitting by looking to align certain points of the anatomy with our contact points of the bike. I believe that kinematics will be the new way we end up fitting people. We already have equipment that can test someone's output as they move through the motion of a squat. Dialing someone's seat height to maximize the amount of time spent in the range of greatest output is something that I've always thought would be a good way to deal with bike fit. This may help in developing tools like that.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the fitter I used locally was using Kinovea or something similar. Even for an individual at home I think it can be pretty useful. I've only used the more basic functionality, but for instance I was able to dial in cleat position by using the slow-motion playback to look at knee tracking (left knee was kicking out at the top of the pedal stroke, but it wasn't obvious watching full-speed playback). And you can load two videos side-by-side to evaluate fit adjustments on a single bike or to compare fit across different bikes.