View Single Post
Old 05-06-21, 05:01 PM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I look at it as "why would I choose hooked over hookless?" If hooks aren't needed to retain the tire, hookless is easier to manufacture, saves weight, has better resistance to impact damage and present a great/aero tire/rim transition.

Not that I'm aware of. Read reviews by those with valid comparisons and take it all with a grain of salt.

I've only had them for a little less than a year, so I've only used them with Schwalbe Pro One Evo Addix and Michelin Power Road TLRs. The Schwalbe are awesome. The Michelin (which are currently mounted) are excellent, but maybe not quite as supple as the Schwalbe. I also have Pirelli PZero Race SL sitting on a shelf, but I don't know if I'll be able to burn through the Michelin and get to them this year.
Thanks. Those Schwalbe were the exact tires I was looking for when I was going down the Zipp path.

Let me ask you this, though. You haven't ridden on the Bontrager wheels, right? I wonder if you know whether or not there would be a significant difference between them and the 303 Firecrest's? Or do you reach the point of diminishing returns after you wander into the realm of higher-end wheelsets? In other words, are the differences between the two sets small enough that an "average" cyclist like myself wouldn't notice them? I do go on longer (50+ mile) rides pretty often, if that matters at all.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
For a lightweight, low-profile, sturdy wheelset, don't overlook the Shimano Dura-Ace C24s.

With an aluminum braking surface, you avoid some of the braking issues of a full-carbon rim. I started renting these out after big riders were destroying our all-carbon Reynolds wheels on steep descents. Never had one issue with the C24s.

C24s are pretty hard to find, but Amazon shows a few in stock. At $1149, it's less than some of the all-carbon sets.

C24 review at Cycling Weekly.
Thanks a lot. I'll check them out right now.