Old 07-08-21, 10:22 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
Total fail today exploring some of the well known unpaved trails near me. On some very steep sections (18-20%) which were pretty much covered with small rocks (won’t glorify it by calling it gravel!) I simply could not keep up a speed that allowed enough forward motion to stay upright, was slip sliding all over the place when accelerating or turning, fell a few times, and had to walk the bike a mile or so uphill in my cleats.

Downhill is just as much of a problem over around 10%, even very cautious and gradual braking eventually results in wheel lockup and skidding. Just a total downer to climb 1,000’ and then have to go down at 8mph.

I know my tires aren’t optimum - conti gatorskin hardshell 32 at 60psi… but I’m wondering if the right tires (that are still fun to ride fast on roads) will make THAT much diffference….
Most gravel bikes are 40-50mm . Gatorskin 32's are not designed to be gravel tyres ...
Likes For SapInMyBlood: