View Single Post
Old 08-26-21, 07:13 AM
Cheeseftw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
3x of clothing? I take 2x undies, one off-bike shirt plus a light pullover if it might get chilly and one pair of light convertible pants. I leave the legs at home if it’s likely to be warm. If it could get pretty cold I’ll add a pair of synthetic long Johns. And that looks like a bulky towel. Try a synthetic towel like this:

https://www.packtowl.com/?gclid=CjwK...xoCW6EQAvD_BwE

Outlets like REI sell similar products. I think mine is a medium size.

Three rolls of tape. Are you going somewhere for a long time where there will be no stores should you even need that much tape?
The two small rolls of tape I had lying around and they don't take up space. The large one I got for free to fix stuff on the road, but I agree I should just wrap a little of it around a bottle or something and that'll do.

Originally Posted by mrv
Three fuel canisters? Is this a month long trek you're getting ready for?
Not sure how many days your packing for, but if I were looking at all this I think I would get rid of:
1. the whole roll of duck tape (duct tape? .... you say 'potato', I say 'potatoe') (maybe the partial roll of the other black tape. what i do is wrap 5 ~ 10 layers gorrilla tape around part of my handle bars. if I need tape, I take some of that. i've not needed tape....)
2. the silver thingy next to the tooth brush - I don't know what it is, so get rid of it.
3. pink stripey towel. I wouldn't take two towels, but I do take a clean bandana for everyday (if I'm going 4 or 5 days).
4. what's in the TMC sleeve? does it have allen keys on it? If so, get rid of the set of allen keys, or just take the 4mm / 5mm / 6mm keys
5. what's the black handle t-thing? i'd get rid of it, I don't know what it is.
6. Blue-white-black shorts: you need all those shorts? You have some other sporty-looking shorts or pants to the left of those. seems like a lot of shorts / pants to me. The only pants I take are my rain pants. Then I'll have the shorts I'm wearing plus one or two pair of shorts packed to keep dry. For a week long trek, I'll take boxer-briefs where I'll sleep in a clean pair, then it gets worn for cycling the next day. Then at sleep time it goes in a dirty cloths back which mostly has dirty socks, dirty boxers, dirty bandana in it. For a longer trip I'd wear my briefs for more than one day.
7. For 5 days or so, I only get about half way through a large fuel canister. That's about 2 cups boiled for dinner and 2 cups boiled for breakfast. Maybe a little more.
8. Yea.... smaller tent if you can afford and tolerate it. With a laptop, it might not be tolerable.

your free comments from the internets!
cheers.
Thanks a lot for your insights. I forgot to mention my tour plans and edited the original post, but I'm planning a 2-3 week trip that could extend indefinitely. As mentioned the 3 fuel canisters I still have lying around, but once they're used I'll keep an open one inside the stove and maybe 1 spare at most.

2. The silver thingy is a spanner for the spokes.
3. I have 1 towel for myself, 1 towel for cooking, 1 towel for grease. They're also handy to wrap sharp tools and stove into them.
5. It's a chain rivet tool - not needed you think?
6. That's 3 shorts and 3 boxer underwear. Shorts are all I'll be wearing on the bike, so I think 3 is a good amount. Could maybe cut underwear because I'm wearing my bike pants mostly (underneath the shorts).

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
how many days is this for?

For a weekend trip (2 nights) You just need 1 pair of riding clothes and 1 pair of sleep clothes that could double up as two layers riding clothes in case of some temperature emergency. At the end of the day, rinse your riding clothes and hang them out to dry or to waft haha. Get clean and slip into your sleeping clothes. In the morning before You start breaking down the camp and sweat get back into your riding clothes...if they are still damp they will dry out during the work portion of packing. Sleep clothes are (long sleeve top, long bottoms and socks) - to also keep your sleeping bag clean. If you get too hot at night you can slip out of your bag and just use it as a blanket or partial cover.

if You wear biking pants and long johns for sleeping I see no reason to carry briefs or boxers at all in your kit. -- however I attest to having a pair of quick drying shorts in the kit. When You get somewhere where you can actually swim or cleanup in a stream etc ... or to do laundry ... a pair of quick drying shorts and crocks for camp shoes as well as water shoes is a practical thing to have

Unless You plan on riding in total wilderness without any resupply stores or options you can use those stores as an assurance to purchase a garment in case one of your current garments mysteriously disappears or something... civilization means you can buy things along the way :-)

For a weekend of a trip you just need 1 canister of fuel.

What is the giant roll of tape for? If you think you will need tape for something you can just wrap a little bit of it onto something like water bottle ...
It's for a longer trip, but I get your point on cutting clothing. I'll also drop the giant roll of tape. Thanks.

Originally Posted by headwind15
I don't know what the deal is with taking towels? (at all) I use my Pocket Shower, and use the clothes I was wearing to dry off and then wash them. I've never run into a situation where I wished that I had a towel. (seriously)
Good point, I could maybe drop the large towel that way. The two smaller rags are for cooking and greasy bike repairs, respectively. And they are useful to wrap sharp tools into.