Old 10-26-21, 02:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
Hey, livedarklions - I'd actually like to see how you gear your bike(s) (I thought that's what this thread was about). For example, do you put on a 55t or 56t big ring (like were used on 650C wheeled triathlon bikes long ago to offset the smaller wheel size, and can you even get those big rings these days or have 10t and 11t cassette cogs essentially made them obsolete)? Do you put on a straight block cassette (can you even get those these days or do you have to "build your own")?

The next club ride on a flat course, I think I'll spin on my 13-18 straight block freewheel

​​​​​​The two bikes I do most of my riding on are old brifter bikes with 8 speed Shimano 600 Tricolor, and I have 11-28t cassettes, standard issue Shimano. It's 53t in the front, and I forget the size of the small chain ring. I don't think my front derailleurs could handle a bigger chain ring, but I've never actually looked into it.

I do think that people are probably too reluctant to experiment with higher gears because of people claiming certain things are impossible or making grossly exaggerated claims of danger.