Old 10-26-21, 02:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Yes, but this isn't analogous. Running largely doesn't employ gearing, so the idea of maintaining power output while using a slower stride at higher force simply doesn't make any sense. In running, if your drive foot is actuated more slowly relative to your upper body, it means you're moving slower and (if conditions are equal) producing less power. On a bicycle, the relationship of torque and cadence is tunable: if a rider's legs are uncomfortable pedaling rapidly but can push with enormous force, they can select a higher gear than a more typical rider would choose; their resulting pedal stroke would be unusually slow, but otherwise need not be kinematically-whacky in the way that super-low-cadence running would be.

I get this nonsense a lot from people like burnthesheep who can't get their minds around someone doing something they can't. All he had to do to make it implausible was to ignore the fact that I'm on an actual bicycle with adjustable gears.

Next, someone will argue that my knees will explode or something.