View Single Post
Old 11-24-21, 10:25 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
We just don't know enough to say. Poles are not a high breakage item in my experience though and splinting them or improvising something to limp through may not be too hard in either function. It just depends. Some tents can be pitched easily with the bike on one end and some stationary object on the other in a pinch, some not. Depending on what he has in mind for the rack vulnerability to breakage and ability to patch and go may both be widely variable.

One thing I have found is that you can pretty much always find a way to limp along to the next place where you can get a proper solution.
I guess I have seen too many tents with broken (or split) poles. When I read the OP originally, I immediately thought of side to side sway and then _IF_ the rack/pole does break, it could easily get caught in the spokes doing even more damage much. Again, I think the concept is cool. I just would want to see it in use in real world conditions before I got one. Then you would have to have tent makers make a tent based on the pole sizes/lengths.