View Single Post
Old 11-25-21, 08:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Having seen it, I wouldn't advise it for the reasons folks have already mentioned. If you do try to go ahead, my suggestion is to keep the cargo limited to a small area just behind the seat post, for a very short rack. I am thinking the horizontal pole sections should be no more than half as long and maybe less. That might keep it a bit more rigid, stress the poles less, sway less, and limit the ability to overload it. It does raise the question of whether it has any advantage over just using a saddle bag and strapping the poles to the top tube.

I will add that I have used the little Sunlite racks that are only 9" long and found that you can get more gear on them that you might guess. I think your rack could be a little longer than the Sunlite. If you have a decent sized bar roll on the front you could carry a reasonable amount of gear for an UL traveller.

Looking at the pictures it looks like you have a joint in the tube above the dropout. Is there anything to prevent it from bouncing and coming apart on a rough road?

Last edited by staehpj1; 11-26-21 at 07:23 AM.