View Single Post
Old 12-13-21, 08:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
On this forum, there have been two documented cases of bearing problems in SP hubs. That is quite minimal, thus I think you can expect good life from SP. I own three SP hubs that I bought new, a few Shimano that I got used.

I described my light setup on my rando bike some months ago, that link is here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...b-charger.html

I chose fender mounting for my taillight, but if you have a rack, that is much simpler and easier to do quickly. Or, if no rack, B&M make a seatstay or seatpost version of their Secula taillight that is easy to mount with a zip tie.

I built up my third SP wheel last spring. I considered future proofing it by buying a thru axle version and the adapter for quick release, but the higher cost of that option made me wince a bit, thus went with the regular quick release. I found the best price on a disc brake version, that is what I used even though it was a rim brake bike.

How would you mount your headlight? Keep in mind that dyno powered headlights are often poorly sealed against water on the bottom or back, thus, you do not want to mount it where there is much tire spray if you do not have fenders.

Dynohubs do not include the skewer. I use a bolt on skewer on my dynohubs as a bit of extra theft protection, and I put a 5mm allen wrench with my spare tube in case I need to remove it. I typically have a small multitool when I ride, the extra allen wrench with teh spare tube is a redundancy.

I assume you already know this, but if not, almost all dyno powered lights do not flash. That is in part because lights do not flash in Germany and most dyno powered lights are designed to comply with German lighting law. So, if you want a taillight flasher, use battery light. I typically tour with battery powered taillights for that reason.

Have you considered which lights you would want? And where mounted?