Thread: Touring-curious
View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 07:27 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
... I like those yellow bags you've got there, may I ask what brand they are?
Ortlieb Back Rollers and Front Rollers. And a 31 liter Rack Pack on top.

They are pricy, but they last forever. About once a year REI has them on sale. Sometimes Sierra Trading Post has them at a good price but with very limited color selection. And seeing how popular they are, several other companies also make similar ones with varying levels of quality.

There are several models of Ortliebs. The ones I have are basically a big dry bag that attaches to a rack.

Until a few years ago there were several choices of touring bikes with 26 inch wheels that could fit someone that needed a small size, but 26 inch wheels are falling out of favor as manufacturers are trying to push people to buy something different. If you watch the used market you might find some smaller sized 26 inch touring bikes, but they would be rare. Also some people have bought 1990s vintage mountain bikes with steel frames and 26 inch wheels and turned them into good touring bikes. Such bikes would typically have good low gears. About a decade ago I bought a 1994 Bridgestone MB-6 at a garage sale for $5 USD. It was in bad shape and took about $50 in parts to make it functional again. I use it as a errand bike, but a bike like that could make a good touring bike for someone that needs a smaller size frame.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: