View Single Post
Old 12-17-21, 10:09 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
The build: Stripped it all down and started the sourcing, digging out the parts. I knew it was going with all new paint. I like doing my own paint, partly because I’m cheap and partly because I enjoy it. Maybe one day I’ll get a proper sprayer but for now rattle can it is. The first time I looked through the Velocals website I rushed it and thought they did not have the decals I needed. The original decals were in really bad shape except for the head badge. I’m glad I went back for a second look as they 100% had what was needed. I cannot say enough good things about Velocals. The quality is outstanding. They did not have a decal that was just “Ascent” only “AcsentComp”. I ordered (2) “AscentComp”s but followed up with an email asking them to confirm my yellow color selection was accurate and showed them a picture of my “Ascent” decal telling them I intended to cut their “AscentComp” offering down. They corrected my yellow color choice to Yellow 15 and asked me for dimensions on my orginal “Ascent” decal, they proceeded to make me the correct decal (I now see this decal available on their website).

I was going to go the headset front brake hanger route. I had a Ritchey Force stem the right length, etc with no built-in hanger. My fork threads are barely long enough for the Tange Falcon headset so the extra mm makes a difference. Plus I wanted the same stem my Ritchey came with that has the simple hanger brazed in. Good shape Ritchey stems of this type are not cheap, the below stem is in the mail and set me back $50 with shipping/exchange from Poland. A lick of black paint and few coats of clear it’ll be the cherry on top. Also in the mail are the correct “ARAYA” decals for the RM-20s I’m using which are completely faded.