Old 01-25-22, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm confused by the premise of this thread.
The OP wants a road bike that fits wider tires. Gravel roads are roads that are not paved with asphalt and therefore require wider tires. A gravel bike is a road bike that fits wider tires.

The solution here is extremely obvious.

A hardtail MTB or flat bar hybrid converted into a drop bar bike also works, and accomplishes the same goal, which is to have a drop bar bike that fits wider tires. Is this better for the OP than a gravel bike? I have no idea.

Of course there are bikes marketed as "proper" road bikes that fit wider tires that also might work:
Trek Domane (38mm)
Canyon Endurace (35mm)
Cervelo Caledonea (35mm)
Salsa Warroad (35mm)

Are these better options than a gravel bike that could take larger tires, provide more clearance for snow/slush, etc? I have no idea. They would all fit the 30mm winter studded tyre from Schwalbe, or a 32-33mm winter studded tire from other manufacturers.

Don't know what OP means, but I think the thing that I consider least road-bikey about a gravel bike is the gearing as the chainwheel tends to be way too small for my riding style.

I like the way you laid out these options.