View Single Post
Old 05-05-22, 12:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3483 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,156 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Or maybe not.

I wouldn't have done this except I stumbled into a schweeeeet deal on a non-disc Rohloff. In another thread, I was assured I would be in the group that got more cavities, but actually, the bike as a total package works just dandy. It's fitted with a TRP HY-TP front disc with a Shimano ICE rotor --> stops on a dime and gives change.
My frame was built for Rohloff and only that or other IGH hubs, uses the OEM axle plate. Thus, I have been clueless on how a lot of other bikes deal with that if they do not use the big arm attached to the chainstay. My frame can use either rim or disc brake, I bought the CSS rims that should last longer that I do and I went with rim brake. Photo is eight years old, it shows canti brakes in the photo, since then I have switched to V brakes.

WIth the dirt it is not easy to see, but there is a rectangular shaped knob that is in that extra long slot in the dropout to hold the hub from rotating.

Frame uses an eccentric bottom bracket for chain adjustment.

So, I appreciated seeing how that works on a Surly since I am not familiar with how that works.